On October 1st, 2016, Quail Hunting Season at SouthWind Plantation begins. We invite you to come and enjoy this wonderful sport. There isn’t a better place to enjoy it either. In fact, SouthWind is one of only 24 Orvis Endorsed Wing Shooting Facilities in the United States. So it’s no wonder how popular we are as a première hunting destination.
With the new season upon us, we have compiled some fun Trivia Facts that you may find interesting about Quail Hunting.
- Quail can’t endure long flights, generally no more than 200 yards per flight.
- Quail usually live their entire lives within a 40 acre radius.
- Flushing refers to the Quail’s explosive but short, rapid flights when startled.
- Quail only live 2 or 3 years.
- Quail are fond of dust baths. In fact, you can track them from the ground impressions they leave behind from these baths.
- Quail eggs are cream colored with black splotches.
- 12 or 20 Gauge Shotguns are the ideal guns for a Quail hunt.
- Early morning or evening is the best time to hunt Quail.
- Quail measure 10 to 12 inches in length.
- Quail usually eat berries, seeds, leaves and insects.
- A well trained dog will always improve your Quail shoot.
SouthWind is the perfect place for a beginner or an experienced Quail hunter. Enjoy your hunt during the day and our luxurious accommodations in the evening. We welcome your visit to SouthWind Plantation. Just give us a call at 800-456-5208 or visit our website at www.huntsouthwind.com.
SouthWind Plantation, the ultimate hunting experience.