Here at SouthWind we not only have an appreciation for great hunting, but great meals as well. That’s why we’re going to be sharing with you some of the best recipes from all over the south. Starting with our favorite bird to hunt- Quail!
Quail and Mushroom Recipe
- 6 ounces chopped bacon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups assorted Exotic mushrooms, such as shiitakes, oysters or hedgehogs
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 quail, breastbone removed and split down the back (4 ounces each)
- Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
In a large skillet, over medium heat, fry the bacon until crispy, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the bacon on a paper lined plate and set aside.
Stir the fat into the flour and make a medium brown roux, the color of peanut butter, by stirring constantly for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the onions and sauté for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables start to wilt.
Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Add the garlic and sherry and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and chicken stock and bring the liquid to a boil. Season the quail with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Add the quail and simmer for 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Serve with Artichoke and Potato Au Gratin and garnish with the reserved crispy bacon